- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 50g packet Gulai spice mix (see note 1)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed, halved lengthways
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 400g can coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar (see note 2)
- 600g firm white fish fillets, cut into 3cm cubes
- 300g okra
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- Step 1Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add spice mix, lime leaves, lemongrass and cinnamon. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Step 2Add coconut cream and palm sugar. Bring to a simmer. Add fish. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add okra and tamarind. Simmer for 2 minutes or until fish is cooked through and okra is tender. Remove and discard lemongrass and cinnamon stick. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sodium
- Low sugar
Note 1: Gulai is a Malaysian spice mix for curries, and is available in supermarkets.
Note 2: You could use brown sugar instead of palm sugar. Serves 6 as part of a banquet.
- Author: Michelle Noerianto
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Super Food Ideas