- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste (see note)
- 150g (1/2 cup) Japanese mayonnaise (see note)
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 bunch radishes, trimmed
- 150g packet tempura batter mix (see note)
- 180ml (3/4 cup) cold soda water
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 nori sheets (see note)
- 4 x 200g pieces salmon fillet, pin-boned, skinned
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- Step 1To make wasabi mayo, combine wasabi and mayonnaise in a bowl. Set aside.
- Step 2To make pickled radish, stir sugar, vinegar and a pinch of salt in a small bowl until sugar dissolves. Cut radishes into julienne (matchsticks; alternatively, coarsely grate radishes, then squeeze out excess moisture). Place in a bowl, add vinegar mixture, then toss to combine.
- Step 3Place tempura batter mix, soda water and sesame oil in a bowl. Using a fork, stir until just combined. Trim nori sheets so their width equals the length of salmon pieces. Wrap a sheet of nori around each salmon piece, then trim ends to leave a slight overlap. Seal joins with a little batter. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow nori to soften slightly. Cut each piece widthwise into 6 slices.
- Step 4Preheat oven to 80C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Heat vegetable oil in a wok or large saucepan over medium heat to 180C (or until a small spoonful of batter immediately floats and sizzles). Dip a salmon slice in batter, drain excess, then lower into oil. Working quickly, repeat until there are 4 pieces in oil. Fry for 45 seconds or until pale golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on lined tray. Transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat process with remaining slices and batter.
- Step 5Place tempura salmon on a platter. Top each with a small spoonful of wasabi mayo and pickled radish to serve.
Top tips: Wasabi paste, Japanese mayonnaise, tempura batter mix and nori sheets are from supermarkets. We used Kewpie brand mayonnaise and Trident Tempura Batter Mix.
Ask your fishmonger for evenly thick, centre-cut salmon fillet pieces.
- Author: Sophia Young
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: MasterChef