- 200g rice vermicelli noodles
- 1/3 cup (80ml) fish sauce
- 1/4 cup grated palm sugar (see note) or brown sugar
- 2 long red chillies, deseeded, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 100ml lime juice (from about 4 limes)
- 2 cups (320g) shredded cooked turkey breast
- 1 telegraph cucumber, halved lengthways, seeds removed, cut into matchsticks
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup Thai basil (see note)
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted peanuts
- Step 1Soak the rice vermicelli noodles in a bowl of boiling water or cook according to packet instructions. Drain, then refresh in cold water and drain again. Set aside.
- Step 2Meanwhile, place the fish sauce and sugar in a saucepan. Simmer over low heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Allow to cool slightly, then place in a blender with the chilli, ginger, garlic and lime juice. Puree until smooth. Set dressing aside.
- Step 3Place the drained noodles, shredded turkey, cucumber, carrot, herbs and peanuts in a large bowl. Pour over the dressing and toss gently to combine. Divide the salad among plates and serve.
Palm sugar and Thai basil leaves are available from Asian food shops and selected supermarkets.
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Taste.com.au