- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1L (4 cups) Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 2 400g cans Italian diced tomatoes
- 1/3 450g loaf day-old continental crusty bread, crusts removed, cut into 1cm pieces
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated grana padano cheese
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh continental parsley
- 6 anchovy-stuffed green olives, finely chopped
- Step 1Place the onion, garlic and 80ml (1/3 cup) of the stock in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Step 2Add the tomatoes and remaining stock, and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Step 3Stir in the bread and season with salt and pepper. Cook gently over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Step 4Meanwhile, to make the topping, combine the cheese, parsley and olives in a small bowl.
- Step 5To serve, ladle the soup into serving bowls and sprinkle with the topping. Drizzle with the oil and serve immediately.
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Jan Purser
- Publication: Australian Good Taste