- 300g palm sugar*
- 2 limes, grated, juiced
- 2 kaffir limes leaves*, very finely sliced
- 2cm piece ginger, cut into very thin strips
- 1 large red chilli, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 x 180g skinless ocean trout fillets, pin-boned
- Baby Asian salad leaves, to serve
- 2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
- 1 lime, grated, juiced
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut, dry-roasted
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice
- Step 1Place palm sugar and 150ml water in a saucepan and stir for 1-2 minutes over low heat to dissolve sugar. Increase heat to medium and cook for 5-6 minutes until mixture begins to caramelise. Add rind and juice, kaffir lime, ginger, chilli and fish sauce and cook for a further minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Step 2Heat oil in a large non-stick frypan, add fish and cook for 2 minutes. Turn and cook other side for 1-2 minutes, then add sauce and cook for a further minute, basting fish with sauce.
- Step 3Meanwhile, make rice. Combine chilli with 1 tablespoon boiling water and set aside for 5 minutes. Stir in rind, juice and coconut, then stir through the hot rice.
- Step 4Place coconut rice on plates, top with fish and sauce. Serve with salad leaves.
All nutrition values are per serve
* Kaffir lime leaves are from Asian supermarkets and greengrocers. * Palm sugar is from Asian supermarkets.
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Mark Roper
- Publication: Taste.com.au