- 1 chicken breast (or buy cooked roast chicken)
- 1 cup Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1/8 cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 large carrot, grated or finely sliced into thin strips
- 1/3 lebanese cucumber, sliced into thin strips
- 1/3 capsicum, sliced into thin strips
- 1/3 red onion or spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 large red chilli, finely sliced
- 1/2 bunch coriander, chopped
- 1/2 bunch basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame or olive oil
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 packet of Chang's crunchy noodles
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (optional)
- Step 1Place chicken breast in bottom of a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cover chicken with water. Bring to a boil, then quickly reduce heat to low so that the water is barely at a simmer. Partly cover and gently simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off heat completely, and allow chicken to remain in hot water for 15-20 minutes. Shred chicken into thin strips and allow to cool a little.
- Step 2Combine cabbage, carrot, cucumber, capsicum, onion chilli, coriander and basil in a large bowl and toss.
- Step 3Combine sesame or olive oil, lime juice, fish sauce, brown sugar and vinegar into a small jar and shake to mix. Taste resulting dressing. It should be a tangy taste with sweet and fish flavours in balance – add more fish sauce or sugar until balance is achieved.
- Step 4Add dressing to salad and mix well.
- Step 5Just before serving, mix in half of the noodles and optional pine nuts. Serve in bowls and top with remaining noodles and pine nuts.
- Author: Member recipe
- Publication: Member recipe