- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 400g piece veal fillet (see note), well-trimmed
- 500g chat potatoes, quartered
- 200g thin green beans
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- Ice for an ice bath
- 1 cup whole-egg mayonnaise
- 95g can tuna in olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons baby capers, rinsed, drained
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Heat oil in an ovenproof pan over medium-high heat. Brown veal all over for 6-8 minutes, turning. Season, then place in oven for 10 minutes or until cooked to medium.
- Step 2While veal is roasting, cook potatoes in boiling salted water for 5-6 minutes or until tender, adding beans for the final 2 minutes. Rinse in cold water and drain, then toss both with pesto.
- Step 3Remove veal from pan and enclose in a zip-lock back. Place in a bowl of iced water to cool to room temperature while you make the sauce.
- Step 4While meat cools, whiz mayonnaise, tuna, parsley and juice in a blender or processor until smooth. Add a little warm water if necessary to make a loose sauce, then season to taste.
- Step 5Thinly slice cooled veal, then overlap on plates. Drizzle with sauce, scatter with olives, capers and parsley, then serve with potatoes and beans.
- Low carb
Order veal fillet from butchers. Quick starter: Graze on antipasto – olives, prosciutto, grissini, and bocconcini with tomato and basil. Quick dessert: Toss strawberries in a little balsamic vinegar, leave while you eat dinner, then serve with sweetened mascarpone.
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Brett Stevens
- Publication: Taste.com.au