- 5 slices white bread
- 1/2 cup (125ml) olive oil, plus 1-2 tablespoons extra for croutons
- 24 scallops, roe removed
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil*
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar*
- 100g baby salad leaves (mesclun)
- 1 radicchio, outer leaves discarded
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
- Step 1For the croutons, slice bread into very small cubes. Heat the extra olive oil in a pan over medium heat and fry, turning to cook evenly, for 3-4 minutes until golden.
- Step 2Set aside to drain on paper towel.
- Step 3Pat the scallops dry with paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- Step 4For the dressing, combine 1/3 cup (80ml) of the olive oil, the walnut oil and sherry vinegar, then season.
- Step 5Place the salad leaves, radicchio and walnuts in a bowl with the croutons.
- Step 6Heat the remaining oil in a frypan over very high heat and, when very hot, cook the scallops (you may need to do this in batches). Cook for 30 seconds each side until golden on the outside but still opaque in the middle.
- Step 7Toss the salad with the dressing and place on serving plates. Add 4 scallops to each plate and serve immediately.
* Walnut oil is from gourmet food stores. Sherry vinegar is from delicatessens and gourmet food stores; substitute with red wine vinegar.
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Taste.com.au